Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on those accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~Mark Twain

Monday 31 May 2010

Long time...

Been quite some time since my last post. In some aspects quite a bit has happened, in others not much. After much hassle, which I won't go into here, living arrangements changed multiple times and I am now no longer working at Dusky Lodge but now living in a flat at the edge of town. A hassle to move about so much but I'm now happily settled for my last month in town.

On the research front not an awful lot has been going on. Since my last post I have done some land watches and two trips on Whale Watch. Once Christoph arrived in mid May we managed to get the boat out once. Myself being the only person currently on the project who knows how it all runs it pretty much fell to me to train up Leila, who came out with Christoph and myself, and explain to Christoph generally how we run the trips. After not being out on the little research boat for a couple of months it was great to be back out and the day went pretty well all in all, with five surfacings recorded.
Unfortunately since then the weather has been pretty awful, with days of almost continuous rain and strong winds off shore. So no research either with the boat or on the hill unfortunately.

The rain finally broke yesterday so I went out for a walk towards the seal colony and took some pictures of the beautiful snow covered mountains. There was some blue sky and even a little sun today so I went for another walk and checked out Fyffe House, home of early European settlers and built on whalebone foundations.


Hopefully the weather will improve enough to get at least a few more research days in before I leave.